- Administrative Practice and Governmental Affairs
- Appellate Practice
- Automotive Dealers
- Bankruptcy and Creditor Rights
- Commercial Real Estate
- Commercial, Complex, and Class Action Litigation
- Construction Law
- Corporate and Business Practice
- Corporate/Public Finance and Securities Law
- Economic Development
- Environmental Law
- Estate Planning and Probate
- Federal, State and Local Taxation
- Financial Services
- Foreclosure, Real Estate and Commercial Loan Workouts
- Healthcare (Business and Regulatory)
- Healthcare and Medical Liability
- Insurance Defense and Coverage Law
- Intellectual Property
- Labor and Employment Law
- Media Law
- Mediation and Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Mergers, Acquisitions, and Dispositions of Businesses
- Nonprofit and Tax Exempt Organizations
- Pharmaceutical, Biologic, and Medical Device Litigation
- Products Liability
- Professional Liability and Licensure Matters
- Tax Credits
- Utility and Energy Law
Evans Bailey recently won two appeals before the Alabama Supreme Court.
In the first case, the appellate court reversed the lower court’s judgment that Mr. Bailey’s client owed over $100,000 in post-judgment interest in an attorney’s fee dispute. The Court found that the underlying judgment did not support an award of post-judgment interest because it was not a “money judgment” against Mr. Bailey’s client.
In the second case, the appellate court affirmed a summary judgment in favor of Mr. Bailey’s client (an automobile manufacturer) on claims that the defendant owed the client for relocation reimbursement expenses. The defendant argued below and on appeal that his failure to pay the expenses back was excused for a number of reasons, but the Court rejected these arguments in turn. The Court also reversed the lower court’s failure to award attorney’s fees, expenses, and interest, and increased the judgment against the defendant by approximately $30,000. Katie Davis assisted in briefing the Arnold matter.
The cases are Pope, McGlamry, Kilpatrick, Morrison & Norwood, P.C. v. DuBois (#1171178) and Arnold v. Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama, LLC, (#1170974 & #1171026).